SPITE: ORDER OF CHAOS

spite_right_size.jpg

ABOUT

After spending a year in unity and the in-house TGA engine it was finally time for us to build our own engine. 14 weeks, half time, is not a long time to make an engine and a game but we did it!

MY CONTRIBUTIONS

  • Code mined inputsystems

  • Sound

  • Collision

  • 2D sprites

  • Player attacks

  • Enemy attacks

  • Enemy movement

  • Menus

ezgif-1-3b7d84fa25.gif
Spite3.png

 A LITTLE OF EVERYTHING

Our programming team tried an approach in this project where none of us had full ownership of certain gameplay elements. This was in part because everyone had to help with parts of the engine and in part because we wanted to focus on coding in a way we all understood.


I feel that this approach gave everyone a good understanding of the game and created a very agile workflow, but at the same time I wonder if some parts would have benefited from having one dedicated programmer.

COLLISION MANAGEMENT & AI

I'd say that my biggest contributions to this game was the layered collision management system I created and the AI implementation in our enemies.

After testing a system with slots around the player for avoidance between enemies while attacking I ended up settling for a simpler avoidance behavior at all times. This was far easier to tweak and much less prone to bug.

The collision system was made with inheritance where all types of colliders could collide with a shared base class. They also had tags for different layers so for example enemies would not collide with their own attacks.

ezgif-1-8f3480ff2e.gif